The Fondation Saumon, formerly known as the Fondation F. de B. Gourdeau, has been working for more than 30 years on behalf of Quebec’s salmon rivers.
More specifically, its mission is to promote the protection and conservation of the salmon resource and its habitats, to educate youth and the public about the life cycle of Atlantic salmon, and to promote the acquisition of scientific knowledge and the dissemination of research.
EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM “HISTOIRE DE SAUMON” (SALMON STORIES)
- 60 participating elementary schools throughout Quebec
- More than 15,000 young students taught about the salmon life cycle so far
RIVER PROTECTION FUND
- $300,000 investment since 2005
- Contribution for the hiring of wildlife protection assistants and purchase of protective equipment
CONSERVATION OF SALMON AND THEIR HABITATS
- Funding of more than 20 briefs on the conservation of Atlantic salmon and its habitats
- Investment in the characterization of salmon habitats
- Video production about demonstrating good practices
- Training of guides and making managers and their staff aware of this practice
Donations help towards the conservation and protection of wild Atlantic salmon and their habitats, and will also allow the Foundation to pursue its awareness, education, and scientific research efforts.
A charity receipt is issued for all donations of $30 or more.
In November 2016, the Fédération québécoise pour le saumon atlantique carried out two projects in collaboration with OBAKIR and the Société de gestion de la rivière Ouelle (SGRO). One project dealt with the protection of thermal refuges and the other with the characterization of spawning grounds.
These projects were funded by the Atlantic Salmon Conservation Foundation and the Fondation Saumon.