Du Gouffre River
The Rivière du Gouffre flows from Lac du Coeur in the eastern Laurentian Mountains, 822.96 meters above sea level. The river was named by Samuel de Champlain in 1608. Its 71-kilometer course winds southward through wild landscapes, including two valleys: the Notre-Dame-des-Monts Valley and the du Gouffre Valley, which stretches from Saint-Urbain all the way to the mouth of the river in the town of Baie-Saint-Paul along the St. Lawrence River.
Salmon anglers from the Quebec City area began to fish these waters in the early 20th century. This river has always had a reputation for holding large salmon, although the population of the species varies significantly in number from year to year. Famous painters such as Clarence Gagnon, Marc-Aurèle Fortin, René Richard and Jean-Paul Lemieux have all captured the river’s incredible beauty through their work. Since 1979, the fishery has been managed by the Association de conservation de la vallée du Gouffre.
The river’s 55 pools are all angler-friendly and easily accessible. The riverbed is made of gravel and medium-sized stones, which gives the waters its dark tint and brownish color. Heavy rainfall will cause the lower part of the river to become quickly clouded. Angling on the Rivière du Gouffre is done best by wade fishing.