Great care must be taken when releasing a hooked salmon.
In such a case, the released salmon must be included in the daily limit.
To release a salmon
- move to calmer water
- do not bring the salmon to the riverbank, leave it in the water
- handle it gently without gripping, touching neither its eyes nor gills
- gently withdraw the fly with pliers or with the thumb and index finger, or cut the leader as close as possible to the fly
- hold the salmon horizontally, beneath the water, facing the current
- give the salmon time to regain its strength and to move away
- to ensure its recuperation, handle the salmon as little as possible
- if at all possible use neither a tailer or a net it is preferable to use barbless hooks if you intend to release a salmon