A trademark of the Fédération des gestionnaires de rivières à saumon du Québec
Fishing

Sainte-Marguerite River

The Sainte-Marguerite River

The Sainte-Marguerite River is 100 kilometres in length and flows from Lake Sainte-Marguerite, 678 metres up in the Valin Mountains. The Sainte-Marguerite River has three branches with about 100 pools in 9 sectors, 6 of which are restricted access. The river is also prime habitat for sea trout, the anadromous form of brook trout. 

The history of salmon sport fishing on the Sainte-Marguerite began in 1860 with the foundation of the Sainte-Marguerite Salmon Club, whose assets are now held by Corporation de pêche Sainte-Marguerite

A summary

Lenght
100 km, of which 55 km are open to fishing
Sectors and pools
100 pools for salmon or sea trout fishing in limited-access and open-access sectors
Type of fishing allowed
Salmon or sea trout, mainly wade fishing
Salmon fishing season
June 1 to September 15 for salmon and October 15 for sea trout
Daily salmon catch limit per angler
2 small salmon under 63 centimetres and 5 sea trout

Exploitant

Association de la rivière Sainte-Marguerite

Contact information

Address
160 rue Principale, Sacré-Coeur (Québec) G0T 1Y0
Phone
(418) 236-4604
Free Phone
1-877-236-4604
Email
info@rivieresainte-marguerite.com

Annual statistics

Moon phase

Moon phases

River Condition(s)

Salmon Fishing on the Sainte-Marguerite River

The Sainte-Marguerite River is 100 kilometres in length and flows from Lake Sainte-Marguerite, 678 metres up in the Valin Mountains. Beginning as a narrow, unobstructed stream, it enters a steep, wild valley between the county municipalities of Sacré Cœur and Saguenay, flowing northwest and then southwest for 15 kilometres before turning sharply southeast. It parallels the Saguenay Fjord for 60 kilometres before emptying into Sainte-Marguerite Bay.

The history of salmon sport fishing on the Sainte-Marguerite began in 1860 with the foundation of the Sainte-Marguerite Salmon Club, whose assets are now held by Corporation de pêche Sainte-Marguerite. In 1980 the river was established as a controlled harvesting zone (ZEC) and Association de la rivière Sainte-Marguerite took over salmon fishing management, bringing to an end the Sainte-Marguerite Salmon Club’s exclusive control. In 1995, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche sur le saumon atlantique (CIRSA) established its first research station nearby.

The Sainte-Marguerite River has three branches with about 100 pools in 9 sectors, 6 of which are restricted access. A few pools are privately held either by the Sainte-Marguerite Corporation or local residents. Pools are either fished from a boat or by wading. Highway 172 runs along the river for about 55 kilometres in sectors 1 through 4. There are also several public salmon viewing sites.

The river is also prime habitat for sea trout, the anadromous form of brook trout.  

 

Note

  • Annual statistics are provided by the Government of Quebec.