Rising from the Gaspé highlands, the Grande-Rivière flows for 60 kilometers through a mountainous setting and empties into the Baie-des-Chaleurs in the municipality of Grande-Rivière.
Known to natives for millennia as the "great inland road", Grande-Rivière welcomed the first European settlers in the 17th century. In 1697, the Comte de Frontenac made it a seigneury, later owned by the British, the Jersey people and, in 1919, by Americans, who established a fishing club. Today, the river is a salmon-controlled zone managed by the Société de gestion de la Grande-Rivière. A two-kilometre stretch between sectors 2 and 3 of the river is privately owned.
The Grande-Rivière offers salmon anglers 6 fishing sectors, 3 of which are public and 3 restricted draw sectors. There are 44 pools, the deepest of which feature a spectacular emerald color. Many of the pools on the river offer easy viewing of the salmon that stop here. Road access to the river is facilitated by a well-maintained road network.
In addition to salmon, the waters of the Grande-Rivière are also home to brook trout.