Fishing the

Petite Cascapédia River

In brief

Petite Cascapédia River

The 92 kilometer long Petite Cascapédia river rises at an altitude of 700 meters and has two branches, east and west. These flow down the Chic-Chocs mountains at an average gradient of 4.9 meters per kilometer, joining to form the main section. Approximately 20 kilometers from its mouth, in Baie-des-Chaleurs at New Richmond, the river flows from northeast to southwest. The water is cold and crystal-clear, making it easy to spot salmon in the pools.

The Petite Cascapédia River has some sixty pools, including more than 48 on the zec, divided into 4 sectors, 3 of which have quota access and 1 has non-quota access. The two downstream sectors of the West and East branches are reserved for sea trout (anadromous brook trout), which can be found in large sizes. You can fish by wading or canoe, and some pools are only accessible by canoe. The most productive pools are on cobble bottoms. As this river has been under restoration for several years, catch-and-release of adult salmon is mandatory throughout the fishing season. In addition to Atlantic salmon, sea trout are also found here.



Click here to see the results of the annual draw.

The annual draw for the Petite Cascapedia River takes place on November 1.

For the months of June and July :

Available rods in the restricted area will be shared 50/50 between the winners of the annual draw and those of the 48-hour draw. Winners (while availability lasts) may reserve a maximum of 2 consecutive or non-consecutive fishing days for 1 or 2 people per day.

For August and September:

75% of the rods will be dedicated to the winners of the annual draw, while the remaining 25% will be made available within 48 hours. Winners (while availabilities last) will be able to book a maximum of 4 consecutive or non-consecutive fishing days for 1 or 2 people per day.

For more information on the draws, click here.
For detailed prizes for the Petite Cascapedia River, click here.

Services offered

  • Camping

  • Equipment rental

  • Cottage

  • Bathrooms

  • Ready-to-camp (Shelter)



92 kilometers

Type of fishing possible

Wading or canoeing

Fishing season

June 15 to September 30 for sectors B and C - June 15 to August 31 for sectors D and E

Sectors and pools

48 pools in 4 fishing sectors, including 3 draw sectors and 1 public sector

Daily catch limit per angler

Gaspé peninsula

Carte - Gaspé peninsula

Access to the region

The Gaspé peninsula begins at Sainte-Flavie, where Route 132 splits in two to form a loop of some 844 kilometers around the peninsula, known as the "Tour de la Gaspésie". It's at this municipality that you can choose between the southern and northern itineraries. The region is also accessible by bus, train, ferry and air. Air transport is available via the Gaspé, Bonaventure and Mont-Joli airports.

A fishing paradise

Criss-crossing immense valleys, the 22 salmon rivers of the Gaspé Peninsula are renowned for their crystal-clear waters of a thousand shades of turquoise or emerald, flowing over stony beds. While most of these rivers run north-south or south-north, winding their way through the ancient Appalachian massif of the Chics-Chocs mountains, they all flow through a varied and rich wilderness, thanks to the diversity of their microclimates.

These superb rivers, which welcome both experts and novices to salmon fishing, are easily accessible. What's more, these rivers almost always end up in or next to a small, picturesque coastal municipality.

Because the waters of these rivers come from unspoiled nature, they are of impeccable purity and among the clearest in the world. These qualities, combined with the beauty of the environment and the warm welcome of the Gaspesians, have given the region a worldwide reputation as a fishing paradise.

Image | Gaspé peninsula
Image | Gaspé peninsula
Bannière | Image